This effort aims to advance inclusive economic growth and expand middle class opportunity in the region of Riverside and San Bernardino counties by helping a diverse set of local leaders to create and implement a shared regional agenda of economic and workforce development strategies. This agenda will endeavor to lift thousands out of poverty and broaden local access to opportunity by investing in better pathways to good jobs, improving educational outcomes, inspiring the region’s brightest young people to stay, and strengthening civic infrastructure necessary to address emerging opportunities.
Specifically, this effort will:
- Produce new research and insights on challenges and opportunities to improve economic mobility and expand the middle class within the region
- Translate insights on local economic and social challenges into strategies and tactics that aim to improve economic mobility and expand the middle class in the region
- Establish a ready audience of regional leaders that will implement and continue to improve strategies and tactics that emerge to improve economic mobility and expand the middle class
- Create greater local civic capacity for collective, bi-county action to successfully implement strategies that advance inclusive growth and opportunity
- Over the long term, improve local quality of life through quality job creation and access, particularly in sectors that offer ample pathways to the middle class
This effort to promote inclusive economic development builds on and is informed by other regional, multi-sector initiatives focused on such issues as college and career readiness, water management, transportation, and improvements in public health. The effort also seeks to draw on existing and incipient local research and strategies as often as possible.
An Inland Empire economy that provides family-sustaining jobs with upward opportunities, enables a high quality of life, and supports shared prosperity for all residents and businesses.
IEGO strives to do economic development differently by:
- Developing asset-based, participatory strategies for generating quality jobs for those with and without college degrees in opportunity sectors that can close historic equity gaps.
- Securing investments to advance the region’s existing and needed infrastructure to implement cluster-based development strategies.
- Strengthening the civic capacity and alignment for bi-county and cross-sectoral collaboration to develop shared goals and carry out shared solutions.
- Amplifying the key messages of IEGO’s mission and values, partners, and strategies through a range of communications tools.
- Advocating for policies that reduce barriers for economic and racial equity and inclusion and foster new investments and financial parity for the Inland Empire.
- Economic capacity: IEGO fosters learning, investments, and collaboration that help the region identify new job and business creation strategies.
- Economic opportunity: IEGO believes that access to opportunity is essential, but not sufficient, to close the persistent racial, gender, and economic equity gaps that exist in the Inland Empire. Wealth-building, housing and food security, and other place-based conditions present recurring barriers that must be addressed to close these gaps.
- Data-driven decision making: IEGO uses quantitative and qualitative data to identify opportunities, barriers, and sound long-term development strategies that can affect the root cause of economic inequity.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: IEGO attracts, elevates, and invests in businesses, leaders, and institutions that embody the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism to promote economic justice in our region. IEGO views the Inland Empire’s racial and immigrant diversity as one of its greatest strengths and believes that diverse decision-making processes and power-sharing are foundational for closing the equity gaps that exist in the IE.
- Innovation: IEGO prioritizes creative social, technical, and economic solutions to our region’s most pressing challenges, ensuring a broad welcome to new ideas that touch the root causes of issues and solve long-term and systemic problems.
- Local capacity building: IEGO’s efforts result in the networks, tools, and strategies that give our local institutions, businesses, and residents new abilities to advance economic development and justice.
- Place-based investment: IEGO recognizes the investment and wealth disparities within different Inland Empire geographies, and we incorporate community development and the needs of specific communities into IEGO strategies.
- Environmental sustainability: IEGO recognizes the fundamental role of natural resources and ecosystems in the long-term viability of the Inland Empire and we embed this understanding into IEGO’s adoption of economic and community development strategies.